Thursday, November 5, 2009

Change is inevitable



Change is inevitable” they say – but changes and so many of them, at such an outstanding pace and at such a deep-rooted level: is rather refreshing, I must say.


I remember listening to TFI Staff Member, Sandeep Rai, during Assessment day where he mentioned that the two years of the Fellowship were some of the most important years of his life. When, I joined in I remember thinking if my Fellowship would shape me in a similar manner. Here I stand just six months from the first day – vindicated from that thought!


My concepts and priorities in life have changed. Frankly, I was never overly attached to teaching, especially primary children – I was passionate about enabling change and hence, I came to Teach For India. Even just a month ago, I hoped that I could become TFI staff soon and contribute to the overall movement in “more” meaningful ways. But, today I am committed to my children. I realize they are “my” children – not because I want them, but because they want me.


My ambitions in life, all seem materialistic (and almost unnecessary) suddenly. My deep desire to climb up through the corporate ladder or to have my own startup, seem replaced with loftier, more meaningful targets. Teach For India experiences has helped solidify some of my long-term visions - working on public policy in India and to work relentlessly to setup a inter-disciplinary university of excellence in India, aka top US Universities.


I have made new goals that have an element of social enterprise in it stemming from the deep connections to my life as a teacher– taking up the Indicorps or Art of Living Rural Leadership program to make a difference in Indian villages, developing the social leadership program to empower kids at Akanksha, setting up the first “Indian Leadership Academy” as a junior college with a focus on leadership excellence, working on strategy for “Teach For India”, working to contribute to the “Teach For All” program, working to set up a training institute through an Indian version of the “New Teacher’s Initiative”, working to setup a collaborative platform for NGOs, Corporates and Institutions to synergize on development work or working to establish a Fellowship for people above 35 years of age.


I am also thinking of using my ancestral properties in meaningful ways – redo my home aka the Urban Ashram in Pune and setup a rural school in Botad, Gujarat where there existed a boarding school setup by my grandfather.


Above and over mere visions and goals, there is something that has stirred deep down inside. I have begun to question who I really am, what is meaningful to me and what do I stand up for. I have started washing my hands thoroughly to model it for my kids, I consciously stop myself from uttering bad words because a kid in my class thinks it is a problem for our community, I somehow can relate better with the rag picker on the road or the maid in my home or just feel blessed to have everyone and everything that I do in my life – may be I have evolved to a “better” human being in numerous immeasurable ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment