Friday, April 3, 2009

The Universe Conspires...



Someone has said "When you really want something, the whole universe conspires in helping you achieve it"
. I do not know how much faith to put into this, but it seems like it is coming true for my situation.


Just around two years ago, I was an industrious engineer working in the United States for Advanced Micro Devices (AMD), as part of one of the most talented technical teams in the world designing a next-generation microprocessor. When free, I used to volunteer my time and money to an eclectic group of international and local area non-profits
.


If you asked me what I would do in the future - I would clearly outline a well-charted plan to grow in my career within the United States, with a long-term desire to move back to my roots in India. Inspite of that,
I happen to move back to India very soon and quickly joined the Bangalore Design team.


As my responsibilities grew in AMD Bangalore, I took on a role to lead a small team. But, I stuck to my commitment to the community by volunteering in local-area charities in the area of education. Additionally, I took on the task of managing the employee-driven Community Affairs team in my company and partnering with various non-profits.


While my head was wrapped around growing in my job levels, my heart was in my engagement with the community and education.
Nonetheless, if I envisaged my next step even six months ago, teaching children full-time would definitely not even figure in the list of wild possibilities.


Someone close to my heart told me "If you have a conflict between your heart and your head then bring them both to a negotiating table". And boom, it seems like my prayers were answered....Teach For India (TFI) came into my life through an article in a Sunday Daily.


Today, I stand committed strongly to the cause of education inequity in India through a 2-year sabbatical in my successful career. During these two years as a TFI Fellow, I will be leading the education of around 40 kids in low-income municipal schools in Mumbai and managing service projects to uplift the entire community from where these kids come to school.


In retrospect when I look back in time, just the sheer number of probabilities that have fallen into place to bring me to this juncture : all I can say is, the universe has truly conspired.....:-)

2 comments:

  1. this is immensely inspirational...

    ReplyDelete
  2. glad to have come across the blog n good to read this..
    me had pretty much a similar idea of starting a blog once i became a TFI member..but then after the final assesment in february i did not get a call,so just carried on with ma regular phot-blogging and other stuff in life,but then finally got the offer to join TFI last week..!now too excited about this:)
    will soon start bloggnig abt TFI too..

    And the "if you really want something....universe conspires...", thats true....it really does work out that way most of the times...but sometimes i do feel "if u really want something, you conspire and the universe plays along.." either ways its true that we can really make our dreams and help others make their dreams come true..!

    ReplyDelete